Since Scholastic released the title and cover last week, I have been scouring the wondrous interweb in search for clues as to what will go down in the third book. And, there was nothing! No hints, no giveaways. N – O – T – H – I – N – G! You and I are left to wait in anticipation for a little over 180 days. Essentially, Scholastic has decided to go all President Snow on us by withholding information that could be key to our literary freedom and survival (Yes, Scholastic, I went there…couldn’t you just float an advanced reading copy to this poor little old YA librarian? I promise that I will not tell anyone what happens!).
Actually, I take back that there was NOTHING online. I did find a little something, but that little something only referred to what will NOT be happening in Mockinjay. In an interview, VP Editorial Director of Scholastic David Levithan (as in the David Levithan who wrote The Realm of Possibility, Boy Meets Boy, and – insert school girl scream here – the upcoming Will Grayson, Will Grayson) essentially said that his lips are sealed tighter than Fort Knox about Mockingjay. However, he did mention 5 things that will be absent. Here is the list:
- Panem is not shaken up when District 9 is nominated for a best picture Oscar.
- At no point does President Snow utter the line, “It’s Snowmaggedon, baby!”
- Despite internet rumors to the contrary, it is not revealed that Cinna has been designing outfits for a Capital operative known as “Lady Gaga.”
- All rumors of a crossover appearance by Geronimo Stilton are false.
- In a tough editorial call, we decided to not have Katniss win the Hunger Games…only to be interrupted by Kanye West.*
*Careful about throwing Kanye into the mix, Mr. Levithan. That fella is crazy with a capital “C” and who knows what he will do! Although, personally, I have no doubt that if it came down to a cage match between Katniss and Kanye, Katniss would be stronger and more heartless than the rapper any day!